Join the NHL
Back to the Blue Saturday page.
Tony Stokes has organised a Blue Saturday for 14 June 2014.
Get your tickets now.
The workshops and concert will take place in The Red Lion, Shirley, Solihull, B903AX. There will be workshops covering various aspects of diatonic harp playing hosted by experienced presenters, which are aimed primarily at the beginner to intermediate level, and a shop will sell mic/amps etc.
More details in the April and June issues of Harmonica World, or by email from Tony Stokes.
- The evening concert will feature The 58s Blues Band, who have opened for Kim Wilson, with a chance for attendees to join in.
- The Harp Mic Store will have a stall with mics, amplifiers & ancillary items.
- Workshop leaders so far include Laurie Garman, Keith Parker, Giles King, Tony Stokes and Ben Hewlett. Doors open 9am and workshops commence at 10am.
A day of workshops dedicated to blues harp tuition
- Doors open at 9am for registration. Fee of £30 payable on the door, by cheque, by PayPal or cash. Those who wish to pay by cheque or PayPal in advance can send the cheque to Tony Stokes, made payable to the National Harmonica League, or by clicking the PayPal button further down the page. For full payment details see further down the page.
- Book or reserve your ticket in advance to ensure your place.
- Tea, coffee, cooked breakfast, food will be available at the venue.
- There will be six workshops throughout the day, covering a variety of topics. Three in the morning session, starting at 10 am, 11 am and 12 noon; and three in the afternoon starting at 2.30 pm , 3.30 pm and 4.30 pm.
- Break for lunch at 1.00 pm til 2.30 pm to give everyone a chance to refresh, relax and socialise, etc. Hot and cold lunchtime food is available at the venue.
- Evening break at 5.30 pm til 7.30 pm. Further opportunity to rest,
refresh, relax, socialise, meet other players and learn from each other as
well as the well as from the workshop presenters.
- At 7.30pm the band and support musicians will start up. Everyone will have the chance to sit-in and play with the band. The band members are all very experienced and fine musicians who will be very supportive!
Please note, with the exception of the 9.00 am opening, all the above times are flexible! If we overrun here and there, no problem!!.
- Tony Stokes - A Brief Tour of the Blues Harp. The types of blues harps available; the Richter tuning layout explained; the various techniques and playing methods available; etc.
- Ben Hewlett - Exploring 3rd Position - Expand your range and repertoire, playing blues in minor keys.
- Laurie Garman - The Tongue Block Technique - A demonstration and explanation of this most important technique which every blues harp player should know and use, given by one of the UK’s best exponents.
- Keith Parker - Creating the Groove - Rhythm, timing , getting into the groove when playing alongside other musicians in a band., knowing when - and when NOT to play!
- Giles King - Amplification and Microphones. A demonstration and explanation of how to play through a mic and amplifier. How to choose and use these very expensive pieces of equipment.
- The Open Forum. An anything goes, blues harp related question and answer session hosted by all the workshop presenters.
The running order on the day is subject to change.
The Red Lion
171 Stratford Road
Solihull, B90 3AX
Click for a map
Blue Saturday cost: £30.00
Contact Tony to secure your ticket:
Tony Stokes - 07988535164 - 0121 682 6704,
or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to pay in advance make a cheque payable to the 'National Harmonica League' and send to :
196, Ralph Road
Or pay using PayPal by clicking the PayPal "Buy Now" button below.
Click for a map
The venue is best approached via the M42 motorway. Leave the M42 at junction 4 and follow the signs for Shirley. The Red Lion is approximately 3 miles down the road on the right, opposite the new ASDA shopping precinct.
If travelling by train, go to Solihull Station from the city centre stations. London Marylebone Station goes direct to Solihull Station. Other trains go into Birmingham Centre. Moor Street Station connects to Solihull Station in 10 mins, every 15 mins. The venue is 2 miles from the station.
If travelling by coach into Birmingham Coach Station (formerly Digbeth Coach Station) take #6 bus to the Red Lion in Shirley or train to Solihull Station.
A diary of NHL Events
Return to top